Fall is a great time to consider disaster preparedness and to take a look at your family’s emergency kit. While disasters can happen anywhere, whether natural or man-made, it is important that your family be prepared.
For many, the thought of having a disaster preparedness kit in their home seems silly and unnecessary. The fact of the matter is that every state in our country is susceptible to a natural disaster such as an earthquake, tornado or hurricane, flood or even a volcanic eruption. Preparing for one of these events can be quick and inexpensive, but also a great time to educate your family about safety during one of these events.
The basic home preparedness kit, according to ready.gov should include:
- Water – 1 gallon per person, per day. Minimum 3 day supply.
- Food – non-perishable food such as canned tuna, canned fruits & vegetables, nuts, dried fruit, low sodium crackers, soups. Also, dry mixes that do not require refrigeration. Store food in tightly closed containers to extend it’s shelf life and protect from pests. Change food & water supplies every six months to keep fresh supplies.
- Battery powered radio for emergency information
- Flashlight with extra sets of batteries. (Consider an LED flashlight that requires much less energy to use)
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks, plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal off an area from contaminants
- Moist towelettes for simple hygiene
- A manual can opener and pocket knife
- Cell phone w/ solar charger of some sort
Additional items could include prescription medicines, diapers, pet food and blankets. Keep this kit in a designated area where your entire family can easily find it.
If you have questions about your home, auto or business insurance, call the insurance agents at Valley Insurance Group in Las Vegas, NV. Since they live where you do, they understand both your insurance options as well as the best place to put your home or auto insurance in Las Vegas. With years of insurance experience they can easily help you insure everything from your home to your auto or commercial auto insurance. Because they’re an independent insurance agent, they can help you find the right company to fit your needs. You can also check out their website, 24/7.